5 Effective Exercises To Improve Concentration

We live in a world full of distractions. With a plethora of notifications, texts, videos, binge-able TV series, and whatnot – it is not surprising that most of the time, our mind is in a jumble. As per a study by Harvard University, our brains are concentrating at the present moment only 53% of the time. We are zoned out for the remaining 47% of our time. Unfortunately, this lack of concentration and focus can occur at a time when we need it the most. For instance, when you are in a meeting with your boss, and they suddenly ask you a question. 

While internal distractions like overthinking, work-related stress, etc., and external distractions like the constant string of notifications on our phones can be overwhelming, you can do a lot to improve concentration. Certain exercises to improve concentration help you strengthen your ability to focus on a particular task. 

Let us dive deeper into the most effective exercises to help improve concentration and build focus in you. 

exercises to improve concentration

Easiest Exercises To Improve Concentration 

1. Pay attention to whatever you do.

If you want to build your concentration, start paying attention to whatever you are doing. Unless you start paying attention, you will not be able to take in the required information and process it effectively. Therefore, the process of improving concentration starts even before you begin a particular task. While prepping for your task, make sure you choose a less cluttered space that doesn’t distract you much. Break down the task into small segments. This will give you a mental framework of all that you have to accomplish, thereby allowing you to pay attention to each and every part of it.

2. Create a not-to-do list.

Distractions are everywhere in our world. As per research by Dr. David Rock, a person might require up to 25 minutes to get back their focus on the task at hand. One of the easiest exercises to improve concentration is to create a not-to-do list. The next time you feel like you need to scroll your social media or follow any such random desires, write it down. Writing down your distraction on a piece of paper will help you avoid it and focus on the task at hand.

3. Listen to music.

Classical music has been very effective in helping people concentrate. As per a study by Stanford University, listening to short classical symphonies help engage areas of the brain that regulate concentration and memory. While music is a great exercise to improve concentration, it is the silent breaks between musical tones that help peak brain activity.

Read more: Mental Illness Happy Hour- A Guide to The Best Episodes

4. Read long books slowly.

As per research by the Pew Research Centre, we are now reading 40% more content online than we ever did. Despite this increase, 26% of Americans did not read a single full book in the last year. Reading short-form content online has massively decreased our attention span and ability to understand complex concepts. Therefore, start reading a long book slowly. Figure out your interests, do some research, and find the book you want to read. This exercise will definitely help you improve your concentration.

Read more: Top 5 Mental Health Novels

5. Rest adequately.

This is probably the most enjoyable of all the exercises to improve concentration listed here. But resting adequately is one of the most important parts of developing your concentration. Not getting enough sleep or rest kills your concentration and ability to focus. The more you rest, the better your brain can focus.


We live in a world full of distractions – from social media to stress related to everyday issues. Due to all these reasons, our concentration spans take a deep hit. But there is a lot that you can do to develop your concentration. This includes exercises like building a not-to-do list, resting adequately, and reading long books.

Meditation is another excellent exercise to build concentration. To learn more about the types of meditation, click here

To continue learning about mental health, subscribe to Your Mental Health Pal

Speak Your Mind

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *